Tuesday, January 8, 2008

First Words, Waves, and Super-modeling Without too Much Lead Paint in It

I chose this particular video carefully, as it is the only one of the bunch that doesn't show Owen licking the radiator...no doubt getting his full daily requirement of lead. "This radiator is delicious and nutritious; lots of iron in it!"



First words are tricky...there isn't some parent handbook that explains which words count as "first words" versus the words where you know what your child is trying to say, even if he doesn't used the diction of 'enry 'iggins. Owen says "Hi"...he has been for a couple weeks now. It sounds across between Hi and Hey, but we know what he means. Yesterday morning, Chris went in to greet Owen when he woke up. Chris said, "Hi Owen" and Owen replied, "Hi Da" just as casually as if he had been talking for the last 20 years. I mean Owen there. Chris and I have been trying to teach Owen to wave and say "hi" to each of us, so we devised a little game where I say, "Hi Dada" and Chris responds, "Hi Mama" and we do that back and forth a couple times, then include Owen, with "Hi Owen." Right now, Owen only says "Hi Dada" (sigh)...I can firmly state, "MAMA" and he will reply with an equal tone of "DADA". It is true that he is getting the sequencing correct, since Dada usually follows Mama when we play our game.

On to waving. Owen waves...but not on command. He actually uses waves as they are meant to be used; when greeting someone he wasn't seen in a little while, or when recognizing a newcomer. If I am sitting playing with him for a while, he will generally not wave when I try to prompt him. But, if I have been driving us somewhere, and am coming around the car to get him out of his carseat, he will wave hello as he sees me approaching. He waves at the cats when they honor him with their presence on the radiator in the dining room, and he also waves at pictures of his Dada when he is at work during the day. Oh, and he always waves (and laughs) at the big faces in Jessie's paintings hanging in our living room, as well as all of the face paintings hanging in Jessie's old bedroom and Tim and Jan's kitchen and basement.




These were two of my favorites as I was sorting holiday pictures off the camera today. I have a feeling there will be years to come of these two Hams (but these are Boones, not Hamills...) yukking it up together.

Owen Boone, Male Model. Let me show you my versatility...

"You've nominated me for the Nobel Peace Prize? But I didn't get you anything..."
(Hey Dad, it's like the Colbert Report...see the picture of Owen in the background?)

that's right, "Brrrr!" you're "cool" but happy in this shot

Now you're a TIGER...bite that zipper, get that zipper!

2 comments:

Lee Hamill said...

Of course Owen's speech is going to be a little rough. Don't you know there is a writers strike going on? Give it a couple of weeks and he will be making clever comments in full sentences.
What he lacks in verbal skills he more than make up in the cute department.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.