Monday, August 20, 2007

Our first "Gotcha!"

It happened yesterday...the first time we were clearly suckered by our nearly 4 month old son. We had gone to look at an apartment, and had stopped for a late afternoon lunch. Fortunately, Unos was noisy, so the wails of protest from a "I don't want to nap" Owen were not too disturbing to the other patrons. We seldom attempt to take Owen to eating places, even though we seem to do everything else under the sun with him...Our anxiety for him to be quiet was definitely greater than our resolve that he sleep. He was crying, kicking and generally sounding like we were torturing him by keeping him in his carseat with a blanket pulled over (to block stimulus and try to get him to fall asleep.) Chris gave in, and pulled Owen out of his seat to sit on his lap while we finished our meal. The SECOND that Owen was in his Dad's lap, he looked up at him and over at me with the most gleeful smile that we both knew said, "HA! It worked, I won!" Owen was quite pleased with himself, and Chris and I both knew we had been had. Perhaps the first time, definitely not the last. Good thing we love that boy...

2 comments:

Jessie said...

I think this boy's after my own heart.
Sorry I missed the call from Chris last week- I'll try to call you guys tonight after 8 so as not to disturb the bedtime ritual.

Jan Boone said...

He just wants to sit with the big people! Or maybe that extra cheese pizza was his goal...

mom