Saturday, June 2, 2007

long friday

It was a long day yesterday. I think part of the problem was that I was overly ambitious as to what I could get accomplished in the day. In the morning, Owen and I went to have the oil changed in our car. He slept pretty happily the entire time, and I visited with a woman who was also getting work done on her car. She apologized for "chewing my ear off" with talk, but I assured her that it was the most conversation I was going to have all day and that I didn't mind. She and her husband both worked for the NY Port Authority (she is retired now) and were apparently in the WTC from the beginning, and through both terrorist events. I learned about her daughter being a voice major in college, and this woman's recent trip to Las Vegas. We talked a lot about babies because she is awaiting her 2nd grandchild in August.

In the afternoon, I took a carefully timed trip to Target to get a few articles of summer clothing for myself. Owen was sleepy through the whole trip, but it was really hot outside, and when I got him home and out of his carseat...he was really warm. I think he has been getting prickly heat when we go out lately, in addition to the baby acne that is on his face, neck and chest. He had a good nursing session, and I made the mistake after he had drowsily gotten into his swing, of believing that I could start cooking myself some lunch. I had the stove on, the oven on, corn muffins half assembled, and he started crying like there was no tomorrow! I had no choice but to leave him cry, running back and forth to him and then my kitchen, hoping not to cause an accident to any of us. After that, Owen was inconsolable and overtired the rest of the evening. He had the worst projectile spit-up yet...and the question was, did his being upset cause the spitting-up, or the spitting-up cause the upset? It is the age-old chicken/egg debate. Chris had to work late, so I was on my own until he arrived around 8pm to join in the fun. By 9:30, we put him in the carseat and drove to the grocery store...which FINALLY got him to fall asleep for a while.

It is fascinating to me how as a parent, I can go from feeling content and in control to absolutely desperate in a matter of minutes or hours, depending on the duration and intensity of the crying from a baby. Last night I saw the next three months of hot summer weather flash before my eyes, and suddenly feared them being a house arrest. Perhaps that had something to do with my only conversation of any depth being with the woman from the car dealership, and I didn't even learn her name. When Chris got home, I told Chris it was okay if he wanted to move back to Cincinnati in the future. Friends and Family. He understood; some days are just that way.

Last night was much more manageable with Chris helping, and me going back to bottle-feeding. By the time I nursed Owen this morning, his eagerness was "like an alligator snapping at a young child" (Chris's words) I hope the rest of today will be more peaceful than yesterday.

One of the things I really appreciate is checking the blog and reading comments from folks, and knowing that people are checking-in. Even if the novelty is wearing-off for our readers, please keep the comments coming, if only for my sake. Thanks.

P.S. Owen let me practice for two hour long sessions this past week. When he can tolerate being in his swing, he sleeps in it, in the living room while I play Beethoven and Schubert in the same room. I would think it would seem too loud for him, but he doesn't appear to mind. That is good news for me; I can make some progress on my Beethoven Sonata now.

Hope you are having a great weekend too.

4 comments:

Jessie said...

I'm still reading ;)

Sorry to hear he's been fussy- but remember you could be in the GA humidity!

A welcomed 'hurricane rain' came our way today. I think I'll take a nap soon. Ah, the glory of summer break. It's only a week long so I need to take advantage while I have it!

Anonymous said...

Well trust me it will get easier as OB 1 gets older. At 90 days he will wake up and recognise YOU and then all the fun begins.

Hang in there only a few weeks to go.

Dad - e - o

Anonymous said...

Pictures..... I NEED MORE PICTURES!


Dad - e - o

Judy said...

The first time he smiles at you, your heart will melt and life will feel perfect! Hang in there, and call if you're ever in a panic - we've all been there!